Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween

No one said we could only post once, so I'm going to do another one just because I'm cool like that. Or maybe it's because I have no life like that. What ever the reason, I don't care.
So today is Halloween. For the past 6 or so years I have been going trick or treating for UNICEF, collecting money for people in third world countries to have vaccinations, clean water, and school books, but this year I won't be able to do it. I'm not really doing anything for Halloween this year. It's not such a big deal here in Germany, it just hasn't taken hold. I think my two kids (remember, I'm a nanny) are going trick or treating but I don't know if they're going to dress up. My guest mom bought some candy but it was just two little bags. Back home we buy two or three of those Costco bags and still usually end up running out by about 8:30.
I went to a haunted house last weekend and it was... different. You just go from room to room and get little pieces of a story about how the house is alive or something like that. I didn't really understand what was going on. But the thing is when you are between rooms you are in this pitch black maze with narrow corridors full of dead ends. You have to walk in a group holding on to the person in front of you (unless you're in front like me because I was the only one out of all seven of us that had ever been to a haunted house) and hope that you don't let go or else you'll be lost forever. It was just a very different experience. No one in a bloody, scary mask jumping out at you. No Freddy Kruger. No Grim Reaper. No Scream ... thing. Just really bad costumes and a lot of darkness.

2 comments:

A said...

I'm so glad you posted again, it really is for multiple posts, just nothing more has really happened for me and thus no real posting. I guess i could describe ryan and my costume adventures... or trick or treating around the office...but since you are in a different country its way cool to hear about how they celebrate, I want a whole recount! LOL, maybe Kylee will have a lot of different holiday adventures...

Tye said...

Sounds like my kind of haunted house. I was never a big fan of the jumping scary people and I love stories.
Trick-or-treating hasn't caught on in my neighborhood. In the two years I've been here we have yet to have a single costumed little person show up at our door. sad :(